Committee on Food Security Meeting
October 13-18, 2014 | Rome, Italy
Call for Private Sector Delegates
We are looking for high level representatives of the private sector who can participate in the Committee on World Food Security meeting.
Submit nominations to by September 1, 2014.
Request to Hold a Side Event
- CFS side events are listed in the official CFS Side Events Calendar and posted on the CFS website in English.
- CFS side events should relate to the mandate of CFS.
- Priority will be given to Side Events that are co-organized by more than one of the CFS constituencies.
- Side events should not be in parallel with CFS sessions, the CFS Secretariat will assign time slots and meeting rooms.
- Interpretation and room reservations are paid for by the organizer of the side event but organized through the CFS and and PSM Secretariats.
- The deadline for nominations for side-events to be submitted to PSM secretariat is May 1 2014.
- The PSM chair will make the final decisions on side-events if too many nominations are received.
- The deadline for requests for Side Events (regardless of interpretation requirements) to be submitted to CFS Secretariat is May 1 2014.
- In the event that the above criteria are met, the final decision will be made by the CFS Chair in conjunction with the Secretariat.
The Committee for World Food Security (CFS) is the United Nations’ forum for reviewing and following up on policies concerning world food security. It also examines issues which affect the world food situation. It was established as a result of the food crisis of the 1970s, upon recommendation from the 1974 World Food Conference.
“Food security exists when all people, at all times, have physical, social and economic access to sufficient safe and nutritious food that meets their dietary needs and food preferences for an active and healthy life. It is estimated that more than a billion people, one in every six human beings, may be suffering from under-nourishment.” (FAO)
The rise in food prices in 2007-08, followed by the financial and economic crisis in 2009, has heightened awareness on poverty and hunger issues around the world. Under these pressures, the CFS was reformed in 2008 to become the most inclusive international and intergovernmental platform for all stakeholders to work together to ensure food security and nutrition for all. The CFS Advisory Group was created to hold permanent seats for civil society, the research community and the private sector. Read more (PDF, 528KB) about the creation of the CFS Advisory Group.
IAFN is currently holding one of the seats on the Advisory Group. The other seat is held by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
IAFN representative to the Advisory Group of the Committee on Food Security:
International Pulses Trade and Industries Confederation
IAFN is responsible for coordinating the consultation to the wider private sector and is seeking contributions from business and industry. If you would like to participate in the consultation process, please contact the International Agri-Food Network via our secretariat service: robynne AT emergingag DOT com.
FAO & WHO 2nd International Conference on Nutrition (ICN2)
November 19-21 2014 | Rome, Italy
Latest Position Papers
RAI Statement by the Private Sector, October 2014 (PDF 329KB)
Land Tenure (PDF 118KB)
Responsible Agricultural Investment Private Sector Statements April 2014 (PDF 119KB)
Role and Composition of the CFS Advisory Group (PDF 95KB)
Responsible Agricultural Investment Principles Regional Consultations 2013-4 (PDF 186KB)
The Agenda for Action in Protracted Crises (PDF 18KB)
Nutrition (PDF 197KB)
Knowledge Skills and Talent Development in the Agri-Food Sector (PDF 188KB)
Smallholder-Sensitive Investment (PDF 73KB)
IAFN Position on RAI (PDF 107KB)
Statement by PSM on Post 2015 Goals (PDF 71KB)
Private Sector Views on Issues Before the UN Committee on World Food Security 2012 (PDF 883KB)
Statement by the Private Sector Network On the Occasion of the Special Session of the CFS, May 11, 2012, Approval of the Land Tenure Guidelines (PDF 114KB)
If you want to be part of the private sector consultations on the work of the Committee on Food Security, just send us your details: name, association/company, address, phone and e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Take A Stand
Key Committee on Food Security (CFS) documents will be circulated. Feel free to send in your thoughts. Draft private sector positions will be prepared based on comments received and technical review. Draft positions will then be circulated to the list serve members for comment/approval.
Showcase your Role
Indicate if you want to participate at key events such as the CFS plenary, side events, and regional meetings.