CFS44: Plenary of the UN Committee on World Food Security
From October 09, 2017 00:00 until October 13, 2017 00:00
UN Committee on World Food Security (CFS)
The UN Committee on World Food Security (CFS) is the main United Nations body in charge of developing policy recommendations and guidance on a wide range of food security and nutrition. The Committee reports to the UN General Assembly through the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) and to FAO Conference.
Its main functions are ensuring policy convergence, coordination at global level and providing support and advice to countries and regions by taking advantage of a unique framework characterized by a multi-stakeholder institutional structure, intersectoral expertise, and a multi-stakeholder consultative process.
The annual session of the CFS takes place every year in October and bring over 1100 food security and nutrition experts.
Private sector delegation at CFS
Due to its multi-stakeholder approach, CFS is the only intergovernmental forum within the UN system, where the participation of private sector associations and civil society organizations is facilitated by their own autonomously established coordination mechanisms. If you register with the Private Sector Mechanism (PSM) delegation, you will have the opportunity to:
- Engage with large business delegation (150 to 200 business representatives from around the world)
- Engage with the large CFS stakeholders, in particular representatives of Member States (Ambassador, Councellors, Attachés)
- Participate in bilateral meetings with UN Agencies and Member States
- Join the private sector daily briefings
- Join plenary negotiations
- Speak at side-events and in policy sessions
- Share information about your organization’s activities contributing to food security, nutrition and sustainability
Furthermore, PSM financial supporters have the possibility to attend the high-level dinner, which is meant to be an exclusive occasion to discuss with Ambassadors and UN Senior Officials on selected topics related to food security and nutrition.
NEW Procedure for CFS Registration for PSM Members
We would like to share with you the below IMPORTANT information about the new CFS guidelines to register for its 44th Session, which will take place on October 9 – 13, 2017. This year, registration to the CFS will not be granted automatically. Instead, the CFS Secretariat requests Non-State Actors to submit an expression of interest, those will be reviewed against a set of criteria before confirmation will be sent to those selected.
The deadline to submit your expressions is 23:59 hours Rome time on 18 September 2017. To do so, you have to follow the steps highlighted below:
- Visit the site and click on register to create an account.
- When you input the information, you will be redirected to the log-in page.
- Once you log-in, you will automatically go to the individual form to submit your expression of interest, a valid ID picture and passport copy.
- Once you submit these 3 items, you will receive a final confirmation that you have successfully registered.
- Confirmations will be sent to those accepted. For expressions of interest submitted before 1 September 2017, approval emails will be sent out between 4–5 September 2017. For those submitted after 1 September 2017, approval emails will be sent out between 21–22 September 2017. If no response is received during the above indicated dates, the expression of interest was not successful.
You can find more detailed information here: http://www.fao.org/partnerships/details-events/en/c/882122/